The little owl
Click on photos to enlarge
Scientific name: Athene noctua
Length: 23 – 27.5cm
Breeding habitat: open country with mixture of fields, copses, cliffs, gardens, parks, hedgerows and trees
Food: insects, birds, small amphibians and snakes
Nest: pairs build nests in holes in trees or buildings and lay a clutch of up to six eggs
Identification: Small with large, broadly-rounded head, long legs and short tail.
Call: Most common call is kee-ew in falsetto. Listen to calls on the RSPB website.
These photos of one of my favourite owl species were taken in a field in Hampshire, England. I really like the background formed by the lines of the tree branches. The beauty of nature can be so simple.
- World Owl Trust – owls.org
The World Owl Trust is a charity which works on owl conservation on a global scale, and their conservation programmes protect populations of endangered owls until their habitat has been restored.
- The Barn Owl Centre of Gloucestershire - barnowl.co.uk
A charity dedicated to advancing the conservation and preservation of the wild barn owl and other British owls and raptor species through environmental projects and research studies, as well as providing a sanctuary to help rescue and rehabilitation.
- The Hawk and Owl Trust – hawkandowl.org/Species/Owls/Littleowl
Dedicated to conserving owls and other birds of prey in the wild.
- Entry for little owl in the RSPB’s bird guide – rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/littleowl/index.aspx
- BBC – bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Little_Owl
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Sign up for emailsSpecial offers & more direct to your inbox
Tagsanimals animal welfare babies beauty birds books business charity children christmas cleaning climate clothes dolphins education energy environment ethical events fashion food fundraising green handmade health home jewellery music nature organic photo photography recycle reviews shop local shopping special offer sustainability sustainable living technology videos weddings whales wildlife work
Tweets by @BeaShadeGreenerMy Tweets