Your refrigerator and freezer are likely to be some of the biggest energy guzzlers in your home or office so here are some simple energy-saving tips which will also save you money.
- Make sure that you keep the coils on the back of your fridge-freezer clean. Use a vacuum cleaner or duster every 3 months to remove dust and dirt and you could save up to 30% on your electricity bill. Unplug the fridge-freezer first to avoid electric shocks.
- Fridge-freezers work best in cold spaces, so try to keep them away from ovens and out of direct sunlight.
- The coils at the back work better if they're kept at least 10cm from the wall and dust-free.
- Regularly clean door seals and replace damaged ones ASAP.
- Fridges works most efficiently when well stocked but don't overfill them.
- Keep liquids covered as vapours make the fridge work harder so use more energy and cost you more money.
- Keep the appliance at its optimum temperature – 3-5°C for the fridge and -18°C for freezers.
- Freezers work more efficiently when full so fill any empty spaces with crumpled newspaper or sealed plastic boxes.
- Open fridge and freezer doors for as short a time as possible.
- Never put warm food in the fridge, let it cool first.
Photo: Sarnil Prasad
Found this website useful?
Please consider donating a few pounds to help me develop this site. Or share this post with your friends and follow me on social media. Thanks for your support!